Our site has been designed to be informative, easy to explore and user-friendly. This section should help answer any technical questions you may have about our website and explains some of the functions we have provided.
Browsing the site
We have developed the site to be accessible via as wide a range of web browsers and alternative devices as possible. If you have any queries regarding this, please see our Accessibility page.
There are several different ways to navigate our site:
- To browse through a particular section, click on the section title at the top of the page. You will be taken to the top page of the section and links to the section’s content will then appear on the left hand side.
- A link to our Site map is available at the top of every page. Click on any link in the map to go straight to that page.
- If you are looking for information on a specific topic, try our Search facility at the top of every page. First enter the keywords into the Search box, click the arrow button and then follow any links that are returned.
- To return to the home page at any time, click on the site logo or home link at the top of every page.
- If you still can’t find what you are looking for, please contact us.
Changing text size and contrast
Our pages have been designed to allow you to use functionality built into your browser to resize the text or page.
The "A" links in the top menu bar change the colour scheme to one which uses high contrast colours and a large text size, which may be preferable for some users.
We have provided Skip Navigation links before each menu section, enabling users with certain assistive technologies or alternative browsing devices to skip to the next section or to the main content of the page.
You will also find "back to top" links at the end of our pages, giving you a quick way to return to the top of the page.
External site links
Links to external sites are available throughout this website. As a general policy, all links to external websites will launch in a new window. For a combined list of most of these external websites visit the Links page. Links that will open new windows are signified using the following icon:
This site may contain a selection of Portable Document Format (PDF) document files that can be downloaded onto your hard drive.
PDF files enable you to download and print ‘designed’ documents. We also use them for content we feel users may prefer to print to read offline. PDF files are denoted with the following icon: . To view them you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader software which can be downloaded from the Adobe website .
Rich media files
We may also publish video and audio files on our site using RealPlayer or Windows Media software. To view these files, you will need a compatible media player. You can download Windows Media Player for free from the Microsoft website or RealPlayer from the Real website .
We may also use Flash software for some features. To see these, you will need Adobe Flash Player software, which you can download for free from the Adobe website .
Where possible we provide alternative versions to rich media or graphic content in order to make this content more widely accessible.
We welcome all feedback and user interest, so if you have any comments, suggestions or experience any technical difficulties while using our site, please contact us.